Monday, July 28

War Games

Just 25 years ago Matthew Broderick hacked into his high school’s computer system to change his biology grade, trying to impress a teenaged Ally Sheedy. Then he dialed up the WOPR and accidentally put the US on red alert against a Russian attack. Yes, I’m talking about War Games. Handset modems. Professor Falken. How about Global Thermonuclear War? Good times.

Last Thursday, in honor of the anniversary, War Games played on the big screen. Keri and I went, and it was everything I hoped it would be. The movie held up over the years, and the nerds were out in force to support it. One dude even cheered. Twice. We even got to see the trailer for the sequel “War Games: the Dead Zone” (available now on DVD).

In un-related nerd-news, this bit of Sci-Fi humor came across my desk today. Its ok if you don’t get it.

1 comment:

Cristina said...

I watched the 3 hour first mini-serise of battlestar last week (oh netflix, how I love thee) and wasn't impressed. Is it worth sticking it out for the first season?